A mom of 1 who misplaced both of her legs to meningitis stated she initially thought her signs have been resulting from a spiked drink.
“I had solely had one drink on the pub, a vodka and Weight loss program Coke,” Sarah Hayward, now 51, informed SWNS of the 2017 incident. “I’m an grownup so I do know what it’s like while you’ve had a number of too many, however I had solely had one. That’s why I assumed that specific drink had been spiked.”
Hayward stated she had spent the evening watching fireworks close to her house in Gillingham, Kent, with associates earlier than hitting the city, and that she immediately felt chilly so she dipped contained in the pub.
“I bear in mind being within the rest room and feeling utterly out of it,” she informed SWNS. “I’ve little or no reminiscence of it; it’s simply what associates have informed me since.”
Hayward stated a good friend dropped her at house and that she figured she would really feel higher within the morning, however after saying goodbye to her daughter, who was headed to varsity, she blacked out.
Hayward was recognized with meningococcal Group W, which is at the moment experiencing a steep rise within the U.Ok. According to the Meningitis Research Foundation, the pressure carries a 13 p.c fatality charge, and the signs current in another way than different strains of meningitis.
Hayward, who’s sharing her story by way of the Meningitis Now ‘Adults Get it Too’ marketing campaign, stated she misplaced her legs to the an infection however hasn’t had any well being points since.
“The illness strikes so rapidly — I wouldn’t want it on anybody,” she informed SWNS.